December 23, 2008

Germany Cont.

Another city a new day in Germany.

Today we are in Kölon Germany. It is a larger city than Trier but not as big as Berlin, where we will be tomorrow. Kolon cathedral is one of the world's largest churches, being the largest Gothic church in Northern Europe. The cathedral is known for housing the three wise men relics.

When you first lock your eyes on it, you feel mesmerized. Each time I pass by the church I almost felt it was fake. We American's just aren't used to something that old and beautiful.
What really got me, was the fact that this building survived fourteen hits by aerial bombs during World War II. It did not collapse, but stood tall in an otherwise flattened city.
I really enjoyed the people in Kolon and the history. I cant wait to learn even more about the history or Germany.

(Below is a photo I found off the Internet after the bombings in WWII)

1 comment:

Photography By Jo said...

Wow! It's beautiful! That would sure be neat to see. I think I would be mesmerized by it too.