February 8, 2008

Who you calling Ugly?

The Civil Rights Movement, is it over yet?
As Audre Lorde said "...the white women ignore their built-in privilege of whiteness."
“For as long as any difference between us means one of us must be inferior".

Here is an experience in my life, that I wont forget...........
Last Thursday I went to a free concert with a group from school. Since the Super Bowl was in town, there was a lot of vibe and excitement happening every night. We were very fortunate to be accepted to participate with the pit crowd in Super Bowl Pepsi Smash concert. There were very strict rules that we all had to follow to participate. One of the main rules was to dress "Hip". As I arrived to the concert at 4:30 with my group from school, we waiting one hour in till finally we actually got to enter the "pit".

As we entered they had a young man from VH1 directing us to stand in certain places. He separated my group and put us towards the middle. However he did allow certain people to stand first row next to the stage. He said that we had to stand where he put us for the purpose of the angle of the cameras view. As more people entered he directed some towards the back and some towards the front, separating everyone from their group. Our group of friends nudged our way to front as we waited for more people to enter the area. The same young man from VH1 asked my group at the front to take a couple of steps back. As we did he directed some girls to the front to stand right in front of us. The people that had been standing there already for 45mins could not understand how these girls (which were dress very inappropriate, but considered Hip) would just be directed to stand in front of us. The VH1 gentlemen had one thing to say, "We are trying to make it diverse and look good for the angle of the cameras". What is that suppose to mean, were our looks not good enough for the camera?

It only got worse, as we stood there guarding our ground. The same young man would ask us to take a couple steps back and would bring another row of young inappropriately dressed girls to stand in front of us. This young man as he states "I am just doing my job" did this same routine again and again, until he had layered the "other" people towards the back leaving the blonde or brunette, skinny, and white sorority girls to the front! (I won’t state what sorority it was but it sure was a sorority). In the end there was only one women of color at the very front, besides that the rest were the typical Barbie girls which I would like to add they sure did do a great job in ignoring my presence as I stood behind them.


VH1, I never have been so openly discriminated in front a group of people.

A true SLAP in the face!

No comments: